Principle #29 is all about how hanging on to past hurts and resentments will keep you from moving into a joyous future.
Nelson Mandela is known to have said “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies”.
Jack Canfield offers Six Steps to Forgiveness
- Acknowledge your anger and resentments.
- Acknowledge the hurt and pain it created.
- Acknowledge the fears and self-doubts that it created
- Acknowledge any part you may have played in letting the behavior or the event occur or letting it continue.
- Acknowledge what you were wanting that you didn’t get, and then put yourself in the other person’s shoes and attempt to understand where he or she was coming from at the time, and what needs they were trying to meet—- however inelegantly—by their behavior.
- Let go and forgive the person.
Let go and live a lighter life……